Sunday, November 2, 2008

Concert announcement :Sundaymail.uk.co

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/tv-showbiz-news/music-news/music-reviews/2008/11/02/guitar-hero-s-apollo-terror-78057-20862127/

Guitar hero's Apollo terror
Nov 2 2008 Billy Sloan

TODD RUNDGREN still breaks out in a cold sweat when he thinks about his first gig in Scotland.

The US music legend said: "It was in the 70s with my group Utopia at the late, great Glasgow Apollo.

"I remember how far it was from the stage to the floor and being petrified of falling into the pit.

"And I remember how nuts the fans were."

Todd makes a welcome return to headline the new Edinburgh Picture House next Friday.

It's part of a rare UK tour to showcase his latest album, Arena, his first release in four years.

The 60-year-old says he was inspired to play music by British guitar legends.

He told me: "My music heroes were The Yardbirds. They were a factory for great guitar players. First I wanted to be Jeff Beck, then I wanted to be Clapton."

In his 40-year career Todd has produced acts including Patti Smith, The New York Dolls and The Tubes.

He masterminded Meat Loaf's classic 1977 album Bat Out Of Hell which has sold 37 million copies.

In 2006, Todd led the reformed Cars on a US tour.

He said: "There aren't a lot of bands with the hits The Cars have which made fronting the band a lot easier."

No comments: